We’re Omisians. And we’re firm believers that “payment acceptance” is fundamental to developing a successful business. We build tools and provide our clients with services that power more than just payments — helping them reach more buyers around the world, unlocking their fullest potential.
Our payment solution is simple to set up and works seamlessly across multiple devices. We take care of connecting and maintaining relationships with processors and acquirers which let our merchants focus on building great products.
Why we need you
We all depend on financial services throughout our lifetimes, for our businesses, for everything we buy and sell on a daily basis. We have been using money paper, but now it is inevitable the transition to digitized and contactless payments. Ever since the pandemic there has been a rapid switch to digital payments as well as a huge increase in contactless spending. We are accelerating the inevitable, the trends for digitalisation have already been underway and Omise’s services are more needed than ever before.
It is a challenging and exciting job to make it a reliable, secure and scalable infrastructure to support this payment infrastructure. As an industry that will exponentially grow, Omise will be a crucial player in this accelerated growth, to support the next generation of financial services infrastructure.
Because of this, we are under-going a period of hyper growth and we’re expanding our teams to further accelerate it. As well as increasing the number of engineers, we are looking for highly ambitious and result-oriented team members and leaders to join and grow with the team and succeed together. We are determined to create the best environment possible to work in, for both engineers and the customers our products assist.
We are looking for world class Site Reliability Engineers, who will ensure a culture of ownership as well as having a very strong engineering background; The successful candidate should be exceptionally multi-functional in terms of infrastructure skills, site reliability, observability, team management, cultivating their growth, success, and the best performance.
You are an individual with the highest attention to details, extremely strong in highly scalable environments. If having the highest resilient infrastructure is your primary objectives, and ability to coach the best practices are your top priorities, then you will feel this is your place to shine and take Omise to the next level.
What you will be doing
- Partner with application developers and architects to ensure services are built for high scale, resiliency and performance.
- Develop the monitoring solutions on top of existing observability platforms.
- Refine our infrastructure resiliency for the highest availability and ensure auto failover between regions and data-centers.
- Work with the engineering teams to architect and build our platform services to simplify real-time troubleshooting and operational response to incidents and outages.
- Be the expert on how to best use AWS technologies to build our next-generation platform.
- Bridge the divide between our core application engineers and our main infrastructure teams.
- Provide capacity management expertise to ensure our deployments are managed for robustness and cost
- Bring best practices and own environment management, ensuring all of our dev/test/prod environments are reproducible with high availability
- Lead our architecture and design reviews where infrastructure is involved.
The Site Reliability Engineer will partner with the Engineering Development team and main Infrastructure teams to architect and operate reliable, scalable, and performant services. You will have a huge impact on how we do things and help take our engineering excellence to the next level.
- You are not only an executor as an individual, but have spent a number of your most recent years leading and growing highly successful Infrastructure teams.
- You will be very familiar with setting KPIs, managing performance, creating a success-first, data-centric culture.
- Highly collaborative with good communication skills and able to explain complex problems to any type of audience.
- Promote automation and repeatable processes within your organization and encourage your peers to take ownership. You will be able to point towards previous examples in your career where automation managed to solve significant challenges.
- The cloud is a very important part of our systems and future. Therefore you will be extremely familiar with cloud platforms, particularly AWS. However you will also be familiar with data centers and on-premise platforms because you have a strong history of avoiding vendor lock-in and are always comparing the platforms in terms of their offerings and pricing. Top candidates will have built redundancy at platform level.
- Negotiation on capital and operational expenses is something you are strong at, previously having been able to win some great deals with hardware / platform partners. You are very accustomed to being accountable to a budget and optimizing usage according to traffic volume (current and predicted), including enterprise discount programs and AWS saving plans or reservations.
- Have been involved in collaborating with engineering teams, for example on performance, use of CDNs, HTTP 2.0, server push, GRPC, auto-scaling strategies and canary deployments.
- Networking experience with routing, load balancers, global accelerators, VPC peering, direction connection between datacenters and AWS Cloud.
- A proven track record for taking complex requirements from multiple passionate stakeholders and translating them into systems designs, architectures, and roadmaps.
- Familiarity with a wide range of infrastructure technologies, such as those used in container orchestration, data orchestration, business middleware, security, and governance.
- With a strong understanding of Information security and PCI-DSS compliance.
- You understand how services scale, fail, and recover. You recommend architectural changes and work directly with applications to implement your designs.
- You are passionate about reliability as a feature and solving reliability challenges across the organization.
- You can design, implement and operate Multi-Region and Multi-Datacenter infrastructures
- Deep expertise in AWS: in particular EKS, ECS, VPC, ELB, GA, WAF, Security
- Experience programming in one or more languages such as Python and/or Golang
- Deep knowledge of Kubernetes and its internals, Istio and other Ingress controllers for Kubernetes
- Comfortable with infrastructure automation in Terraform, Ansible and tooling automation in general.
- Monitoring and alerting with modern tooling (Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog)
- Able to communicate with confidence in English
- Able to be on on-call rotation schedule to respond to critical incidents
- A minimum 8 years experience in operating large infrastructure environments.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, Management Information Systems, or equivalent practical experience.
Why you’ll love it here
- Work with other smart, ambitious people who love to learn and grow
- A beautiful work environment with flexible working hours
- A health care plan
- A laptop to work from coffee shops or beaches
- A friendly bunch of colleagues
What we believe
- We celebrate individualism
- Nourish a trust-based working culture
- Giving our employees the freedom to develop and grow with us
- Founded in 2013, currently 180 people
- Operational headquarters in Bangkok, with offices in Japan, Singapore, and Indonesia
- Raised over $45M of funding, from institutional investors including 31 Ventures, Golden Gate Ventures, Global Brain, Ascend Venture Group, East Ventures, SBI international, Krungsri Finnovate, and more
- Won Digital Startup of the Year at Digital Thailand Big Bang 2017
- Won 3 rewards from International Business Magazine Award 2020
- Most Innovative Electronic Payment Platform for Singapore
- Most Innovative Seamless Transactions Provider for Singapore
- Best Payment Solutions Provider in Singapore
Life at Omise
If you like to do things a little different and don’t play by the book - then come a little closer.
At Omise, we celebrate individualism and nourish a trust-based working culture. We give our employees the freedom to develop and we love to see our fellow Omisians grow with us.
We’re on a mission to achieve our goal, “Payment for Everyone”, and are working with some of the greatest minds in the business to achieve it. Growing with us means to get things done, think outside the box and excel in your profession. If this sounds like you, then get in touch today and take the first steps towards life at Omise.
How to apply
If you liked what you read and believe to be up for the challenge, we'd be pleased to welcome you to the recruitment process for this position. Simply click on apply and submit your contact info. Afterward, this will happen next:
- Candidate answers questionnaire when applying for the position
- 3-4 Interviews with the hiring team, People Operations team and all stakeholders involved in the process
We look forward to getting in touch with you!
Omise embraces diversity and nourishes an open and inclusive work environment. We are home to over 20 nationalities and all decisions to hire, promote or discharge are based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.